Monday, April 9, 2012

Resurrection Band: "City Streets", "Alienated", "The Chair"

Easter weekend is usually a good time for me. I reflect upon the reasons I'm a Christian and come away with a new sense of conviction. This weekend wasn't like that and I really don't know why. There's been so much "atheist talk" with my son this year that I guess it's wearing me thin to the point where I almost lose the hope that keeps me going. In the long run I won't lose it because Jesus won't let that happen, but nevertheless I fear that my bipolar disorder has swung way down to a troubling low. I take anti-depressants and have done so for at least a year. They did me a lot of good and the effects were recognizable. I'm afraid I've built up a tolerance level to them. I'm doing some of the same things and thinking some of the same thoughts and feeling the same way I did before I began taking them. So either it's a huge emotional drop that will correct itself in the same manner that a manic phase does not last forever, or I need to look into getting a new anti-depressant prescribed. If you only knew how much I loathe that possibility.

I didn't come here to talk psychiatry or mental health. I just wanted to share an awesome video I just found of the Resurrection Band in performance circa 1981. It took me back to the good old days after I'd first become a Christian. Christian rock music helped me survive the conservative, ultra-literal church mindset in Oklahoma. Resurrection Band was probably the first evangelical rock band I ever heard. They kicked ass so hard it wasn't even funny! Not too many, if any, could keep up with them. They were truly anointed, and this bugged the Bible Belters to no end. Unlike a lot of CCM rockers they didin't ape any particular "secular" band. They didn't have to. I don't care what you believe in, or don't believe in, if you like good rock music you would do yourself a favor tracking down "Colours" and "Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore".

The video is an excerpt from a show in Puerto Rico. It starts out with "City Streets", moves on with "Alienated" and closes out with an incredible song about people with disabilities, "The Chair". I'll warn you that the last song is cut off about 15 seconds before it ends, and this is extremely frustrating because "The Chair" is by far the most powerful song of the three. Like I said when I posted it on YouTube, singer Glenn Kaiser could have been a huge rock star had he chosen to play anything but Christian music. If you don't think so by the end of this video then I suppose you and I have radically different opinions about the requirements for such fame and success. It doesn't matter, though, because it's probable that Kaiser would not have been a fraction the performer had it not been for the inspiration from and conviction of his faith in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment