Wednesday, January 18, 2012

XM Radio: Goodbye old friend.

The deed is done. I no longer subscribe to Sirius XM Satellite Radio. Not even the bargain incentives they offered could keep me on board. I will miss it, I'm sure, as time goes by. Likely I'll write some kind of memoir for the blog about my seven years with XM. And I have to say that for the most part I have been happy with their service. Frustrated that they shuffled things around to the point where I had to sit through five seconds of silence to skip from one talk channel to the next, but I suppose I could have learned to live with that. And of course they axed a few channels I liked with the 3 or 4 line-up changes I was there for. Still, nothing absolutely essential, as far as I can remember. I initially signed up for the music channels but eventually came to the point where I was only listening to two: Symphony Hall & the Metropolitan Opera Radio. Anyway, more later on my "listening experience" with XM/Sirius XM. I would like to say one more thing, though. I had read in several places and from quite a few customers that cancelling XM was a difficult, tedious and sometimes fruitless endeavor. I will go on record as saying that it was the total opposite when I called. The rep was polite and didn't seem condescending. He knew what he was doing and could easily take "no" for an answer. I do recommend Sirius XM radio. I only got rid of it because there were so many other options and outlets for music & information. It eventually came down to XM or a Spotify premium account. We'll just have to wait and see how Spotify pans out in the long run, for me as well as their other customers. Their iPhone app is a piece of shit so I'm hoping they'll get that fixed. You never know, though. Sooner or later I may well have to drag out the ole XM radio and hop back on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment