Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Jonsi: "Gathering Stories" (music video)

Something that will not change from the typical routine of the old Listening Room: I will always post videos from and about Sigur Ros & Jonsi. In fact, I'll probably re-post all the ones I have there, scattered throughout, when I don't have anything else to say or share. Which means that there will likely be a LOT of Sigur Ros/Jonsi videos coming your way. This song is from Jonsi's soundtrack to Cameron Crowe's film "We Bought a Zoo". I have seen the movie and it is very good. I highly recommend it, as I have with every other Crowe project. He's just unstoppable. He wrote the screenplay for "We Bought a Zoo" around Jonsi's music, and that's pretty cool except that it seemed as if most of the score was chopped up into pieces. You know how they do...it's almost like they feel like they don't have time to include a whole song, or the whole song is too long to fit the scene, so they rip out a verse or cut a chorus in half or just use the introduction or what have you. I can't stand it, especially with songs that I really like. But what can you do? What I guess I'm trying to get to is that this particular track is probably the best of the material from the score (as opposed to previously recorded songs dropped into the film at strategic points). In fact, I like as much as anything on his solo album, "Go". The same cannot be said of the video. There's just not much to it, as far as I can see. Amateurish, almost...but hey, that's the opinion of a 49 year old man who is many, many years to the north of Jonsi's typical audience's age. I'm sure I'm out of touch and that these visuals are more ascetically pleasing to them. But whatever. Watch it or close your eyes, the important thing is the song, and it is worth hearing:

No comments:

Post a Comment