Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rock Scene!!!


Once again a bit of snooping around of the Internet has yielded a treasure trove of nostalgia. This time it's in the form of Rock Scene magazine. I was but one month away from my 12th birthday when I saw the debut issue (pictured) in the newsstand at Mom's Minit-Mart. Even at that young age I was really into what could only be considered  the "alternative rock" of it's time. Rock Scene looked to be right up my alley. It was tied with Creem for the title of "favorite magazine". Up until now I'd only seen a few covers floating around in the images section of Google. Even those were enough to spark fond memories, so you can imagine my delight when I  came across rockscenester.com. EVERY SINGLE ISSUE scanned and presented in an easy-to-use format!!! It was printed on low grade pulp paper and all of the photographs were in black and white but that just made it all the more endearing to me. It's probably been over 30 years since I had a copy and looking through them now, after all these years, brings back some extra-powerful memories. It's no understatement when I claim that Rock Scene had a good deal to do with shaping my taste in music. Obviously as an 11-12 year old boy I was ripe for the picking. Check it out...if you're an aging rocker like I am you might actually remember it. If you're a bit younger you'll get a kick out of what is most definitely a snapshot of the 70s, from the content to the ads.


No comments:

Post a Comment